The Stuart B. Levy CIMAR Undergraduate Summer Internship in Science and Medicine
Now Accepting Summer Applications for the June 3-August 9, 2024, internship period
The Stuart B. Levy Center for Integrated Management of Antimicrobial Resistance (Levy CIMAR) is a collaborative and cross-disciplinary initiative with a mission to deliver new and innovative solutions to combat antimicrobial resistance (AMR). By bringing Tufts Medical Center and Tufts University’s schools of Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, and Arts & Sciences (as well as members from Engineering, Nutrition, and Drug Development) under a single umbrella, the Levy CIMAR is uniquely poised to lead AMR research, drug discovery, patient care, and education.
Each summer, our Center offers financial support for a limited number of summer internships for undergraduate students. Undergraduate students from groups traditionally underrepresented in the biomedical sciences are strongly encouraged to apply.
The award is in the form of a scholarship totaling $4,000 for candidates to work on a basic science, clinical, or educational project with a focus on AMR for a period of 10 consecutive weeks from June 5-August 9, 2024. At the end of the internship period, students will be required to present their work to Levy CIMAR members (details to come).
Steps to Apply:
For Undergraduate Students: Please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 14, 2024, with:
- Your current CV/resume
- One letter of recommendation from a university faculty member who is familiar with your scientific work
- A brief personal statement (max 750 words) describing the following topics:
- Your relevant academic background and research interests (including your experience, if any, in a research lab)
- Your reasons for applying to this program
- How your participation in the program may assist in attaining your future career or educational goals
For Levy CIMAR Faculty: Faculty who have identified a suitable candidate and project can apply by sending the completed application, along with the candidate’s CV, to us at CIMAR@tufts.edu. Applications will be reviewed, and awardees selected by the Levy CIMAR leadership team. Note: We ask that only faculty—and not students—submit these applications for our review. (You can download the application here.)
- Completed applications and student CVs must be received by 5 p.m. EST on Friday, February 16th, 2024.
- Successful applicants will be notified on or before Friday, February 23rd, 2024.
- The internship period will be from June 3rd-August 9th, 2024, with a presentation of completed work to take place in August 2024.
Meet the Levy CIMAR's Previous Summer Scholars:
Senior at Tufts University’s School of Arts and Sciences working with Levy CIMAR investigator Dr. Alysse Wurcel on researching the implementation of antimicrobial stewardship programs in state prisons and jails. Recipient of the 2023 Levy CIMAR Undergraduate Summer Internship in Science and Medicine.
Jonathan Samuel, Recipient of the Levy CIMAR Undergraduate Summer Internship in Science and Medicine
Sophomore at Tufts University School of Arts and Sciences working with Levy CIMAR investigator Dr. Ralph Isberg on understanding factors contributing to antibiotic resistance in A. baumannii
Senior at UMass Boston majoring in biology and working with the Levy CIMAR’s Aimee Shen, PhD; Inaugural recipient of the Levy CIMAR Undergraduate Summer Internship for Underrepresented Groups in Science and Medicine
Rising Senior at Tufts University’s Undergraduate School of Arts & Sciences working with the Levy CIMAR’s Alysse Wurcel, MD; Inaugural recipient of the Levy CIMAR Undergraduate Summer Internship for Underrepresented Groups in Science and Medicine